Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Reference by Ethan Night - President of American Gap Association

March 30, 2015

To: Hiring Team,
Re. Carlton Rounds Letter of Support

Dear Hiring Team,

I have the distinct pleasure of writing a letter of support for Carlton Rounds. I've known Carlton through our shared connection with Ron Witczak, the Provost for Portland State University's Office of International Affairs.

In the past three years since we initially met, I've had the great fortune to rely heavily on Carlton to assist in the development of the AGA Standards. Clearly, when developing something as comprehensive as the AGA Standards, we referred to many similar standards, and not only with his background, but also his integrity, he became a very important element in the preliminary review. Indeed it was my first truly professional interaction with Carlton and I was not surprised, albeit pleasantly so, at his contributions to our Standards.



Over the course of that review of our Standards, Carlton offered sage advice. Most notably advocating for improved measures of tracking and incentivizing student diversity for our membership. When he first approached me with this idea his idealism was clear … but also the pragmatism that not only would such a move be highly beneficial for the students and industry, but also pragmatic enough to know that successfully implementing such a move in a field that is still very much in its nascence would require some lead-time.

And yet, Carlton’s vision is infectious and many of his suggestions have I think smartly been adopted in the current round of the AGA Standards. Indeed, many of his more progressive suggestions will inevitably be found in this next evolution of the Standards we plan on releasing later this year.

Carlton, as I'm sure you know, is a visionary. He is a big thinker prone to big ideas that are well founded in their potential. I’ve learned this about him not only through his reputation, but by the many conversations we’ve had in our current friendship. His desires to challenge the status quo - in all the right ways - have found us deeply in support of one another’s work and I count it a sincere blessing any time I get the pleasure of his time. I can, and will continue to, ask for his support in evolving issues with our field.

To be clear, Carlton is someone who will get work done thoughtfully and I am a fan of his. I simply cannot envision a work environment that doesn't benefit significantly from his insight and work ethic. Should there be any opportunity to expand my words here, please don’t hesitate to ask.



Ethan Knight

Executive Director



                                     American)Gap)Association)•)1529)N.)Killingsworth)St.,)Portland, OR
                           Ph. 503-206-7336 • www.americangap.org • FEIN: 46-0781800 


No comments: